Submit your essay in the WTO Essay Award 2019 and win a Prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay. The WTO has issued a call for young economists to submit papers for the 2019 WTO Essay Competition The award aims to promote high-quality research on trade policy and international trade co-operation and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community.
The annual WTO Essay Award provides a prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay. In the case of a co-authored paper, the prize will be equally divided among the authors. The winning paper will be officially announced at the annual meeting of the European Trade Study Group (ETSG), which is the largest conference specializing in international trade. The award ceremony will take place in September 2019 in Bern, Switzerland. The winning author will receive funding to attend the meeting.
The winning essay of WTO international essay competiton will be published in the WTO Working Paper Series and it is the responsibility of the author(s) to endeavor to secure publication of the contribution in a journal.
- World Trade Organisation
- The prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay.
- Funding for winning author(s) to attend European Trade Study Group (ETSG), the largest conference specializing in international trade that takes place in September 2019 in Bern, Switzerland.
- Winning Essay to be published in WTO Working Paper Series
- The paper must address issues related to trade policy and international trade co-operation.
- The author(s) of the paper must possess or be engaged in the completion of a Ph.D. degree and, if over 30 years of age, be no more than two years past a Ph.D. defense. In the case of co-authored papers, this requirement shall apply to all authors.
- In addition, to be considered for the award, essays cannot exceed 15,000 words
Also, Apply for, INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP CHALLENGE IN GERMANY 2019
HOW TO SUBMIT AN ESSAY?
All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions should include as separate attachments in PDF format:
- The essay
- The CV of the author(s), specifying (i) current affiliation(s), (ii) the academic institution awarding the Ph.D., (iii) the year (or the expected year) of the Ph.D., (iv) the date of birth of the author(s)..
An Academic Selection Panel is responsible for the selection of the winning paper. The panel comprises:
- Professor Beata Javorcik (University of Oxford)
- Professor Robert Staiger (Dartmouth College)
- Professor Alberto Trejos (INCAE Business School).
Dr Robert Koopman (Director, Economic Research and Statistics Division, WTO Secretariat) is ex officio member of the panel. Dr Roberta Piermartini (Chief, Trade Cost Analysis Section, WTO) coordinates the work of the selection panel.
- Essays must be submitted by 31 May 2019.
The Economic Research and Statistics Division of the WTO Secretariat will shortlist eligible papers by 14 June 2019 and the selection panel will take a final decision by 10 July 2019. Only the author(s) of short-listed essays will be notified.