World Nomads Travel Film Scholarships 2019 in Malaysia is now open for applications. Do you dream of becoming a professional travel filmmaker? Apply for the World Nomads Travel Film Scholarship 2019. This is your chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip to Malaysia and is personally mentored by award-winning filmmaker Jenny Nichols. You could be capturing staggering seascapes and incredible biodiversity while telling stories of the diverse local communities who call Malaysia home.
Becoming a good travel filmmaker requires more than capturing the highlights of a trip. For the past ten years, World Nomads has been providing up-and-coming filmmakers with invaluable mentorships with industry professionals. These experiences are custom-tailored to deliver true in-field experience, and equip budding filmmakers with sound knowledge of camera, audio, capturing a narrative, interviewing direction, and post-production.
World Nomads is a team of global citizens, customer advocates, and creative storytellers. Since 2002, we have been protecting, connecting and inspiring independent travelers like you. We’re obsessed with travel and passionate about helping you explore your curiosity and gain a deeper understanding of the world.
To us, travel is not just an opportunity for adventure but a way of life. It is this mindset that we work to fuel and support – whether you are on the road or exploring your backyard. For those of you who know this need to experience and engage with the world, welcome to our tribe.
- World Nomads
- 10 Days
- The winner will arrive in Malaysia on 21 April and depart 2 May 2020.
Must Apply for Ireland-Africa Fellows Programme 2020 – Masters Fully Funded
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- Return economy airfare from the nearest international airport to Malaysia.
- A 10-day, all-expenses-paid trip in Malaysia, including a 3-day post-production workshop
- Mentorship with professional filmmaker Jenny Nichols through the 10-day trip.
- $1000 USD worth of audio equipment courtesy of RØDE Microphones.
- A Lowepro camera bag of the winner’s choice (up to the value of $150 USD) and Langly camera accessories.
- The cost of any relevant visas and vaccinations and travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
- You need to be 18 or over at the time of the application deadline (August 6, 2019).
- If you’re still learning the craft of filmmaking and if creating films is responsible for less than 25% of your income, then you’re eligible to apply. This may mean you have had a few films commissioned in the past, or keep a regular video channel of your own – but it isn’t your full-time gig.
- You may submit a film in your local language. However, if people in your film are speaking a language other than English your film must include English subtitles. Keep in mind that English skills are paramount as the scholarship mentor Jenny Nichols only speaks English.
- Applicant must be eligible to obtain a Malaysian visa.
- Those who are living in Malaysia can also apply for a scholarship
Must Apply for Doha Oasis For Innovation 2019 Fully Funded – One Week to Qatar
HOW TO APPLY?
1. MAKE A 3-MINUTE DOCUMENTARY
- Interview an adventurer or inspiring traveler and bring their compelling travel story to life.
2. UPLOAD YOUR FILM TO YOUTUBE OR VIMEO
- Please make sure your video is publicly accessible.
3. COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FORM
- Fill in your personal details so we know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.
You’ll need to convince our judging panel through your application that you have the spirit of adventure and a passion for travel filmmaking. A good travel documentary should:
- Convey a strong narrative in English (or with English subtitles)
- Focus on a specific travel story within a 3-minute timeframe
- Show us your interviewing skills and the ability to coax a good story from your subject
- Demonstrate strong filmmaking skills
- Show originality
- Be visually engaging
The scholarship recipient, along with the shortlist of the best films, will be published on the World Nomads website on 10th September 2019.
- The last date to the submission of application for the 2019 Travel Film Scholarship Opportunity is August 6, 2019.