Applications are now open for the British Council ColabNowNow 2019 for Young Digital Creatives. The British Council training program invites young digital creatives to take part in the third edition of ColabNowNow in partnership with Maputo Fast Forward and Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festivals.
ColabNowNow will select 11 digital artists from Africa and the UK to develop cutting edge digital artworks through collaborative artmaking and storytelling. Applicants will apply with proposed projects which will then be developed with artistic and technical facilitators. Together they will create a collaborative exhibition to be launched on 11 October 2019 at the opening of the Maputo Fast Forward festival.
ColabNowNow has been developed by the British Council as a space for the leading minds in digital art in Africa and the UK to connect, collaborate and learn from each other in a safe, supportive and enabling environment. Do you think you have what it takes?
- British Council
- Creatives will receive artistic and technical support from two facilitators, who will work with the creatives to develop complex collaborative works in both their conceptual and technical forms.
- All travel, accommodation, meals and VISA costs are covered by the British Council.
- Artists will be paid a fee of 500 GBP for their participation.
- A technical and installation budget is available for the collective use of the ColabNowNow team.
Must Apply for Data Science Fellowship 2019 in USA – Graduate/Master/Ph.D
- Applications are open to artists and storytellers working in digital media who are aged 18-35.
- Are you a daring artist or storyteller working in a digital medium and living in Africa or the UK
- Do you want a chance to see your collaborative work shown across Africa, the UK and extensively online?
- Artists can include but are not limited to: visual/graphic artists, architects, technical artists, programmers/coders, music/sound artists, performers, and animators.
- Storytellers can include but are not limited to: writers, photographers, filmmakers, videographers, bloggers and vloggers.
- You must live in and have a valid passport from one of the eligible countries.
- You must be available to travel to Johannesburg 3-8 September and Maputo 2-12 October – including travel time before and after said dates. Full attendance is required.
- Previous selected ColabNowNow creatives are not eligible to apply.
- East Africa: Ethiopia | Kenya | Rwanda | South Sudan | Sudan | Tanzania | Uganda
- West Africa: Ghana | Nigeria | Senegal | Sierra Leone
- Southern Africa: Botswana | Malawi | Mauritius | Mozambique | Namibia | South Africa | Zambia | Zimbabwe
- North Africa: Algeria | Egypt | Morocco | Tunisia
- United Kingdom: England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales
HOW TO APPLY?
Apply Online for the British Council Training. Fill all the required fields. Don’t wait till the last date apply as soon as possible.
Applications for ColabNowNow go through a strict and anonymous blind-jury process where gender and country balance is developed into the shortlisting process. Applicants will be judged solely on their artistic proposals and their ability to work collaboratively with others in order to develop new work from their proposal.
The jury will be made up of representatives from Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival, Maputo Fast Forward, British Council (UK, EastAfricaArts, SouthernAfricaArts, WestAfricaArts), and the artistic and technical facilitators.
- The last date to apply for young digital leaders is 24 July 2019.