For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centers (hereinafter to be collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) to study in Chinese universities and colleges (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
Acting as one of the host institutions, East China Normal University( ECNU) enjoys a high reputation in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages(TCSOL). The School of International Chinese Studies at ECNU, specialized in trainning overseas Chinese language teachers, is the only institute of this kind established by Hanban. The HSK test center of International College of Chinese Studies at ECNU is one of the first Chinese language proficiency testing centers which have the right to recommend Confucius Institute Scholarship candidates.
CONFUCIUS INSTITUTE SCHOLARSHIP 2019 DETAILS:
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATION:
A. Scholarship for PhD’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (PhDTCSOL)
Commences September 2019 and provides scholarship for maximum four academic years. Applicants shall be Master degree in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Language Study, and other related educational majors, and have a minimum score of 200 in HSK Test (Level 6) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants should have worked as Chinese teachers or other related jobs for more than 2 years.
B. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
Commences September 2019 and provides scholarship for maximum two academic years. Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who are able to provide notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
B. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
Commences September 2019 and provides scholarship for maximum four academic years. Applicants must have graduated with a high school diploma, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
C. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
Commences September 2019, and provides scholarship for maximum 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
ii. Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK test (intermediate level).
iii. Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 in HSK test (Level 3 ).
D.Scholarship for One-Semester Study
Commences either in September 2019 or March 2020, and provides scholarship of maximum 5 months. Applicants with holding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
i. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
E. Scholarship for Four-Week Study
Commences either on July or December of 2019, and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
i. Chinese Language plus Home-stay Experience in a Chinese Family
HSK test score are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made after consultation with host institutions and submit to Hanban for approval.
ii. Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes
HSK test score are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group.
- The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full scholarship and partial scholarship. Full Scholarship consists of tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses; Partial scholarship covers tuition fee, accommodation fee, and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
- The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person. For PhDTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,500 CNY per person.
- University provides on-campus dormitory with double beds for scholarship students. Students hoping to live off-campus should apply to the university and receive the off-campus permission from the university. Then the accommodation allowance for PhD student is RMB1,000 per month per person and other scholarship students is RMB700 per month per person.
- The degree scholarship program applicants are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to receive the scholarship for the following year.
All applicants shall be
- Non-Chinese citizens
- In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
- Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language
- Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2019. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45, while undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25
HOW TO APPLY FOR CONFUCIUS INSTITUTE SCHOLARSHIP 2019 IN CHINA?
- For application, please log on to the ECNU online application system and Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
- Contact Recommending Institutions:
- Confucius Institutes and Confucius classrooms which have been in operation for more than six months. For more information, please refer to www.hanban.org.
- Testing centers for Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK which have the right to recommend Confucius Institute Scholarship candidates. For information, please refer to www.chinesetest.cn. (ECNU is eligible to recommend)
- Oversea organizers of Chinese Bridge Competition: education and cultural offices (groups) of China’s oversea embassies (consulates), Confucius Institute and relevant educational institutions. For further information, please consult firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants (An interview is required for ECNU degree program applicants), and Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection.
- After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post the Admission documents. The copy of the scholarship certificate can be print out from the CIS website.
- Last Date For Application Submission is May 20, 2019.
FOR MORE DETAILS & APPLY FOLLOW LINK: